Admissions - Graduate Programs in Biomedical Engineering
Who we are
Located in the heart of Toronto, the Institute of Biomedical Engineering is an eclectic community of bright minds and creative leaders focused on delivering the next generation of medical and assistive technologies. Education is the root of innovation. Our curricula are designed not only to meet the needs of today’s healthcare industry, but also to equip our trainees with world-class knowledge, skills, and abilities to tackle the needs of tomorrow.
|Program||Entry||Application start||Application end|
|MASc, PhD||Winter 2024||Sept. 1, 2023||Nov. 30, 2023|
|MASc, PhD||Fall 2024||Nov. 1, 2023||Feb. 29, 2024|
|MEng||Fall 2024||November. 1, 2023||February 28, 2024|
*First-round admission cycle for MEng applicants. Further MEng admission rounds may be added in March (depending on enrollment capacity).
Before you apply
Pick your program. From recent graduates to licensed professionals – BME offers cutting-edge programs on biomedical device design, implementation, and commercialization for master’s and/or doctoral-level learners. Experience our program through stories, tips, and editorials from our alumni, students, and faculty to discover the program that’s right for you!
- Listen to our podcast about how to connect with professors and how to apply to scholarships
- Get matched with faculty members through our networking events
- Learn about timelines and what to expect in the application process
- Talk to our staff during information webinars
- Check out the career paths of our graduates
How to apply
Successful students normally begin their study in the Fall-term. Winter-start for the research program is possible but not common, and permitted only under exceptional circumstances (e.g., faculty request). We look forward to learning about you through your application!
After you’ve applied
MASc, PhD applicants
Admission to the research program is only offered to students with confirmed sponsorship from a research supervisor. Research-stream programs are thesis-based, and students will conduct research under the guidance of a supervisor. In turn, the supervisor will also sponsor the student’s education by contributing to their research stipend and professional development. Applicants are responsible for selecting a research topic and seeking a research supervisor, and having secured a research supervisor is a condition for admission.
- Find a supervisor from our core or cross-appointed faculty members
- After you have secured a supervisor, contact the BME Graduate Office to identify your supervisor. Copy your supervisor in the email to expedite communication and the admission process
- Review the MASc/PhD student handbook
- Apply for graduate scholarships (NSERC | CIHR | OGS)
|Program / Topic||Service / Contact|
|Graduate Admissions||Ask BME|
|Graduate Awards||Ask SGS|
|Financial Aid – OSAP, UTAPS||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Financial Aid – U.S. Citizens||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Financial Aid – Provinces outside Ontario||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Tuition & Fees||Ask Student Accounts|
|Study Permits & Immigration||Ask CIE|