Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The PhD in Biomedical Engineering is a research-intensive program that immerses students in the application of biomedical sciences and engineering principles to advance solutions for challenges in human health. Students can be admitted to the PhD program through direct entry after completion of a bachelor’s degree or, alternatively, after the completion of a master’s degree. PhD students receive a guaranteed minimum stipend for four years.
Length of study
Four years (defined as the period of time for an academically well-prepared student to complete all program requirements while registered full-time).
- Entry into PhD program after completion of a bachelor’s degree (i.e., direct entry): A four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering, medicine, dentistry, physical sciences, or biological sciences, or its equivalent, with an average of at least 3.7 on a 4.0 grade point average scale (i.e., A minus) in the final two years of study from a recognized university; or
- Entry into PhD program after completion of a master’s degree: A master’s degree in engineering, medicine, dentistry, physical sciences, or biological sciences, or its equivalent, with a cumulative average of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 grade point average scale (i.e., B plus) from a recognized university.
- Proof of English-language proficiency is required for all applicants educated outside of Canada whose native language is not English. View the BME English-language requirement policy to determine whether you are required to take a language test and for a list of accepted testing agencies and their minimum scores required for admission.
- Applicants must find and secure a BME faculty supervisor prior to admission.
- MD/PhD candidates must apply through the MD program
- Possession of the minimum requirements for entry does not guarantee admission
- GRE score is not required
- Complete the online application and pay the application fee
- Arrange for your English test score to be reported electronically to the University of Toronto by the testing agency if applicable. The institution code for U of T is 0982-00 (there is no need to specify a department)
- Contact the BME Graduate Office to identify your BME faculty supervisor
|Domestic||Full-time: Fall - Winter||Fees – Domestic Students; See Table 1|
|International||Full-time: Fall - Winter||Fees – International Students; See Table 1|
Last updated: January, 2022
|Program / Topic||Service / Contact|
|Graduate Admissions||Ask BME|
|Graduate Awards||Ask SGS|
|Financial Aid – OSAP, UTAPS||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Financial Aid – U.S. Citizens||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Financial Aid – Provinces outside Ontario||Ask Enrolment Services|
|Tuition & Fees||Ask Student Accounts|
|Study Permits & Immigration||Ask CIE|